Round 5 Match Report

The Box Hill Hawks have rebounded from a disappointing last-start loss to record a resounding 108-point win on Sunday.

Coupled with a hearty percentage boost, the four points were enough to move the Hawks to three-and-two on the season and back into the competition’s top eight.

For much of the first two-and-a-half quarters the visitors gave as good as they got, keeping a Box Hill side which was enjoying the lion’s share of territory and possession within arm’s reach.

But ultimately the dam wall broke.

The home side boasted 11 goalkickers – 7 of whom kicked multiple majors – as well as the three most prolific clearance players on the ground in Trent Mynott (8), Brayden Kilpatrick (7) and Daniel Howe (7), edging away at each change to record the Club’s biggest winning margin since round 20, 2014.

Emerson Jeka marked his return to Box Hill with the first goal of the contest inside a minute of the opening bounce, before Josh Morris kicked the first of his five six-pointers following arguably the best spell of forward pressure of the game pushed North high and wide, forcing a turnover.

Saunders’ first of the day capped a successful, albeit cagey, opening salvo in which the Hawks kept the Kangaroos goalless. While Sam Mitchell might’ve appreciated one or two more goals, the defensive solidarity to keep the visitors at bay was a welcome compromise.

North opened the scoring come the second, before a superb individual effort from Mason De Wit, who’s aggressive defence provided his side with invaluable drive off half back, teed up Saunders for his second.

Howe produced a brilliant contest of his own moments later, outpointing one opponent in the air before beating another on the deck. He gathered and waxed with Kilpatrick to set up Mynott’s fantastic right footed goal.

Another to the visitors was quickly cancelled out by Morris, who was alive to chop off a teasing kick across half-back to kick his second of the day, before Brooksby’s first answered another from the Kangaroos to take us to the half.

Once things got back underway it was the blue and white who found the big sticks first, but three on the bounce to the brown and gold was the perfect response.

Saunders kicked his third, Howe his first and by the time Pepper, deployed forward in the absence of late out Tyler Brockman, showed poise and a killer sidestep to hit the scoreboard the Hawks had a game high 40-point lead.

North found a much-needed response, but it preceded another three Box Hill six-pointers to well and truly blow the game open.

Mynott won a crucial clearance before handing off one of his seven score assists to Newcombe; Brooksby and Saunders combined to set-up Morris; before Jeka read the ball best in flight, opting to stay on the deck and gather the loose ball into an open goal.

With one to play the Hawks held a decisive 50-point lead but returned to the field keen for more. What followed was the home side’s best quarter of the year to date, as midfield dominance, selfless connection with forward fifty and manic pressure was rewarded with a 10-goal to nil final term.

Best afield Daniel Howe’s second got the scoring underway, Jai Newcombe followed suit in short order and the floodgates opened.

Further goals to Morris, Jeka, Ceglar, Kilpatrick, Brooksby and Downie rounded out a resounding display.

The Hawks tackle the Blues and Port Melbourne in the next two weeks, before the bye in round eight.

Box Hill




23.12 150

North Melbourne




6.6 42

Best: Howe, Kilpatrick, Mynott, Morris, Jeka

Goals: Morris 5, Saunders, Jeka 3, Howe, Newcombe, Ceglar, Brooksby 2, Kilpatrick, Mynott, Pepper, Downie

Disposals: Howe 35, Kilpatrick 31, Mynott 23, Phillips 21, Mascitti 19, Jeka 18, Newcombe 18

Similar Posts